Visiting Media Communications Specialist
Information Technology and Communications Services (ITCS)
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES) at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign is accepting applications to fill a Visiting Media Communications Specialist position. This is a full-time academic professional position in Information Technology and Communication Services (ITCS). The primary focus of this position is to provide communications expertise and support to the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences with an emphasis on science writing, web content development, and other support writing to communicate the benefits and importance of the college’s teaching, research, and outreach programs. The Visiting Media Communications Specialist will be a member of the Communications and Marketing within ITCS and will report to the Director of Communications and Marketing. This position may become non-visiting if funds become available.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Interview ACES faculty and researchers and read scholarly journal articles to write news releases and articles in language that is understandable by the non-scientific public ensuring high visibility and appropriate branding
• Develop content for websites, social media, or other needs of the College of ACES as it relates to communications and marketing
• Work with faculty and staff of the College of ACES to plan and implement communications strategies, based upon analysis of audiences, situations, content/subject area, and intended outcomes
• Write articles for internal College of ACES publications such as ACES@Illinois
• Develop and maintain media contacts; connect media with ACES experts
• Serve on committees which require communications consulting or support
Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications, journalism, or related field from an accredited institution of higher education
Minimum of five years writing experience with an emphasis on science and news writing
Experience with digital photography and ability to manipulate photos
• Proven ability to understand and translate science research
• Demonstrated skills in interviewing, writing news articles, feature writing; writing for the Web and social media formats
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to work well with diverse people in a team environment
• Experience with digital photography and ability to manipulate photos
• Evidence of strong interpersonal skills and teamwork
• Excellent written and verbal skills
• Master’s degree preferably in communications, journalism, or related field from an accredited institution of higher education
• Experience working in a higher education environment
• Institutional knowledge of the University of Illinois and the College of ACES is preferred
Proposed Start Date: As soon as possible after the closing date for applications.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Closing Date: To ensure full consideration, all application materials must be received by April 10, 2017.
Application Process: To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information of three references by April 10, 2017. We would prefer all documents be uploaded into a single pdf file. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date.
For further information please contact David Gerstenecker at a email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu