HOW TO APPLY
Civil Service and Extra Help Application Instructions
The same application is used for both Civil Service permanent and Extra Help temporary positions. However, Civil Service positions are filled through a Civil Service testing process. Please submit an exam request for each position for which you are applying. See detailed applicant instructions below.
To see what Civil Service exams we are currently testing for - Click on the options under “Civil Service Jobs” in the box at the right. You will be directed to the Staff Human Resources Web site for current job postings and additional information regarding employment. You must return to this page to continue the online application process before being able to submit an exam request. You may return to this page by closing/exiting the Staff Human Resources Web site – this application system will remain open. However, please note that your online application process will time-out if you have not returned to it within one hour and you will be required to Login again to resume the application process.
To receive e-mail notifications when Civil Service permanent jobs are posted -
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Civil Service Jobs Listserv provides a way for you to learn about posted Civil Service employment opportunities. By subscribing to the Civil Service Jobs Listserv, you will receive notifications when Civil Service postings are added/updated. All subscriptions to this listserv are confidential and your name will not appear in the email heading. Click here to subscribe or unsubscribe from this listserv.
Frequently Asked Questions About Civil Service Exams
Staff Human Resources
New Applicants -
1. Create an account on the Applicant Login page, if you have not applied in the past. Be sure to write down your User Name and Password for future use.
2. Click on "Apply to Job" at the top of this page. This takes you to your Profile page.
3. Under "Documents to Complete" on your Profile page, you should see a CS Pre-Approval form. Click Start to fill out the CS Pre-Approval Form. Be sure to submit it. (Note: Your pre-approval will be processed within 3 business days.)
4. When your CS Pre-Approval Form has been processed, you will receive an e-mail with instructions to complete your application.
5. When you receive this e-mail, login on this website (jobs.illinois.edu) and the Civil Service Employment Application (Parts 1 & 2) will be on your Profile page under "Documents to Complete."
6. Complete both parts of the application and be sure to submit.
7. Once you have submitted the application, you will have a CS Exam Request Form on your Profile page. (If you are applying for Extra Help only, do not submit an exam request form. See instructions below.) Complete and submit the exam request form with the title of the exam you are requesting. (The submit button is on the 2nd page.) To request additional exam titles, click on" Edit" next to the CS Exam Request Form. This gives you a blank exam request form.
8. If you meet the minimum qualifications for the exam requested, you will be notified of an exam date by e-mail and U.S. mail within approximately 2 weeks. If it is determined that you do not qualify to take the requested exam, you will be notified by U.S. mail within approximately 3-4 weeks.
9. You can monitor your exam request status and register activity, by clicking on the Civil Service Activity tab at the top of the page, after submitting your exam request and at any point in time in the future. This activity view will be automatically updated during the qualifying, scheduling, and scoring processes.
10. Always be sure to LOGOUT when you leave the application system.
Returning Applicants -
1. Login with your user name and password.
2. Update your application, if needed, by clicking on Edit next to Civil Service Application Part 2 under "Documents to Complete." Always be sure to submit on the last page (9 - Review/Submit) or your application will be incomplete.
3. To request an exam, click on Edit next to the CS Exam Request Form under "Documents to Complete."
4. Always be sure to LOGOUT when you leave the application system.
To apply for an Extra Help (temporary) position -
1. Follow steps 1 through 6 above under New Applicants. Then do one or both of the following, depending on your preference.
2. If you are interested in Clerical Extra Help, call the Extra Help Office at (217) 333-4752, to schedule a typing assessment and information session.
3. If you are interested in Non-Clerical Extra Help, you will need to contact individual departments of interest and inquire about possible opportunities. You can pick up a list of department contacts from the Staff Human Resources office.